One morning at approximately 10:00 a.m., I was shopping at the Harris Teeter grocer on Kings Contrivance village center in 8620 Guilford Rd, Columbia, MD 21046. After a couple of minutes in one aisle of the produce section. I noticed that one of its tall, black male employees was likely following me. I had not been in the store for long and initially dismissed my passing thought. I continued to another aisle of the section and noticed the same thing which also happened in the aisle right parallel to the wall refrigerator. There were other shoppers around so I decided to get the attention of a female employee who was in the salad section. I explained to her that her black male co-worker was following me though I did nothing wrong. She had already noticed his behavior and decided to wait with me while I retrieved my salad and walked with me part way to the register.
I was disgusted that a black male employee of a grocer (happens frequently in Columbia, Maryland stores) was trying to intimidate me. He was a total stranger, did not articulate anything and just stared at me stone-faced as if he wanted me to leave the store.
The manager was contacted and as usual it was a white male who feigned a shocked reaction said, but “he’s married?!” My response was today’s black males don’t care about that. I also informed him how the female employee already noticed her co-worker’s behavior and assisted me. There is a pattern in which certain white males will, for reasons explored in several blogs across the country (U.S.) and articles of the co-sign of black male abuse of black women. To the white men who do this, you become an accessory and are just as guilty as the perpetrator. I do not know what the white male’s manager motive was for providing the relationship status of the black male employee as his conduct would have been offensive to me (the shopper) whether he was single or not. The reality was that it was just another typical black “Christian” male with no morals and an inclination to harm women.
Many black women have learned over the years that they are on their own, no longer will society to the right thing and when it does it is most likely someone of another race protecting the decent black woman—because they do need protection—from so many black men of today.
One morning at approximately 9:00 a.m., I was entering the Whole Foods grocer 10275 Little Patuxent Pkwy, Columbia, Maryland 21044 (Howard County), from my car in the designated parking lot. I noticed a dark-skinned black “Christian” male approximately 5’9” in height who appeared to be from the City of Baltimore (unkempt, ignorant face, bubble eyes and a sneer). There are two sets of doors from which you may enter. When I left my car, I noticed he was walking quickly from my left, where the actual exit door was to the right, where I needed to enter.
I proceed to walk to the far, right entry door closer to where the carts are kept outside as he appeared to walk to the left set. As soon as he saw me entering a separate set of doors, he did an about face and walked behind me and murmured something. I immediately zigged and went to the doors to the far left. Apparently, this dark-skinned black “Christian” male was already harassing other patrons as I noticed a Caucasian female Howard County police officer in uniform standing alert in the eating area. I grabbed a handbasket and proceeded to the fresh food/self-service area. The same dark-skinned black male “Christian” followed me, this time with Whole Foods employees noticing. I immediately proceeded to a different section and saw the police officer quickly move towards the black male to address his behavior. After my purchase, I went to the eating area to obtain utensils and napkins and saw a black male eating, glance at me and then look down at his food. I thought, ‘…must be quite embarrassing that a white woman in uniform have to monitor black males just so people can get groceries in peace.’ This is the so-called suburbs of Maryland.
The following incidents have happened to me, someone who I personally know or relayed to me directly by a witness to these occurrences:
1) One late morning I was driving westbound on 175 West, also known as Waterloo Road towards Columbia, Maryland (USA). There weren’t many cars in the direction I was going in the 4 car lane. I had the right away when suddenly, a dark-skinned male who appeared to be form the City of Baltimore did not yield and intentionally made a left to what became a u turn from the eastbound direction. He intentionally drove destructively as he literally stopped in the middle of the road and stared at me like he was going to pull a weapon. I had to wait until he would drive and he had the AUDACITY to roll his eyes at me though I had the right of way and he was the one that nearly caused an accident.
2) Someone I know stated that she witnessed two covered Muslim women at a grocery store parking lot going to their cars in NW, Washington, D.C. (USA). A group of black American females came out of nowhere and approached them, yelled at them then accosted them. She stated that the black females were attempting to snatch the Muslim women’s hijabs off. The person I know who witnessed it said she stopped and noticed another woman (white) who was already dialing the police on her cell phone. Both waited until the police arrived to be sure that they could be listed as witnesses.
3) A college student who is a Sunni Muslim Black American young woman worked as a cashier at the Weiss grocer located at 9250 Washington Blvd N, Laurel, MD 20723 (USA). A black “Christian” female began yelling at the young Muslim cashier noting that the employee did not have an Arabic first name (for some reason she assumed in order to be a Sunni Muslim one must be a foreign national and an Arab). The young lady attempted to be patient and explained that she converted to Islam. The black female “Christian” customer berated her (total stranger) stating “If I was your mother I wouldn’t tolerate none of that.” The woman was a total stranger, held up the line and apparently does not have an iota of civility or respect for boundaries with her blind hatred.
4) At the East Columbia Public Library, 6600 Cradlerock Way, Columbia, Maryland a “religious group” (Black “Christians”) are given permission multiple spring seasons to proselytize in front of the public library (local government, publicly funded building) complaints filed. One obese woman literally blocked my entrance to the library and tried to “grill” me in the face. She is confronted by police becomes belligerent and argues at the officer and is physically removed from the property.
5) Attended an extended family member’s funeral at a First Baptist Church in Prince George’s County, Maryland. I was dressed in hijab and an abaya which I felt most comfortable in at the time in a house of worship. One of my cousins sitting to my right was grieving heavily so I tried to comfort her as it was her dad’s death we were mourning. We were in a few rows back with other family. The Baptist preacher stared at me and interrupted whatever his ‘sermon’ was and said to me “I see we have someone who hasn’t accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as his personal savior.” Even the Christian relations were offended by his inappropriateness during their time of mourning and vulnerability. Everyone was silent and waited for the “preacher” to resume the funeral service.
6) One day I was walking to university classes from the north to south campus buildings and there were some black male university students hanging outside. It was apparent I was Muslim as I was in hijab and one of the black males audibly said “..if she wasn’t Muslim I would f*#@ her”: not I would ask her out, court her, find out about her, or talk to her as a human being but rather one way or another (sexual assault) he would have his way with me. I pretended like I didn’t hear what was said and kept walking quickly, looking straight ahead.
7) One day while driving to work in Washington, D.C., I was at a red light on New York Avenue, right before you get to the police station or academy on the right about two blocks before you can turn left onto H Street, NW, Washington, D.C. A dark-skinned black male emerged from the plexi-glass seating for the metro bus and started making masturbating gestures and thrusting. There was a white male driver in front of me with a luxury car and as soon as the light turned we drove as fast as we could to pass what was happening on the sidewalk.
8) On a bright and sunny mid-afternoon, I was returning to my car and making a purchase at the Target located 3343 Corridor Marketplace, Laurel, MD 20724 (Maryland City). As I was crossing from the store entrance walking towards the parking lot two black “Christian” females began laughing and gossiping about me. One of them stated, “..that’s why I don’t like them, they have flat butts.” The other one responded, “nah uh, no she don’t.” I thought it was the strangest, lesbian-type of public conversation to have about a covered Sunni Muslim woman. I walked a bit quicker to get to my car.
9) One day I was in a government office in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. In the parking lot I ended up speaking with another Sunni Muslim Black American woman. I told her the observations and experiences I have had with Black “Christians” and that I did not understand why total strangers were so evil. She informed me that although she doesn’t wear hijab now, when she did, she and her brother were teased relentlessly by Black “Christians.” She even mentioned that she had a brother named Rashad and all the Black “Christians” would refer to her as “Ra-sh*@#.” The woman stopped wearing hijab primarily due to the discrimination both in social contexts with Black “Christians” and workplace discrimination because of her faith.
10) One early morning I was doing laundry at the laundromat located at 125 Bowie Rd, Laurel, MD 20707 on a Saturday. It was approximately a little after 6:00 a.m. and I was sorting clothes. I hear someone come from behind me (never made their appearance known) asking when did I arrive to the laundromat. No one said excuse me or appeared in front of me to indicate that he or she was addressing me. Second, it’s no one’s business, including a total stranger has the right to know my whereabouts. The Asian male manager and one employee was working in the laundromat so if she wanted to know when it opened she could have addressed an appropriate question to them. But it was apparent that she felt she had the right to question and know my business though she, like all of the incidents I describe was a total stranger.
Anyway, the woman put her hand on me and tried to swing/push me around and stated with a grimace, “I’m trying to ask you a question.” I then smacked her hand off of me and stated, “You do not put your hands on a total stranger.” Once again, the dark-skinned uncivilized black female kept talking, she responded “if you put your hands on ME again we will have a problem.” Yes, the woman who accosted me is now upset that I responded in like kind. In an even louder tone I stated “you touched me first.” She knew she couldn’t say anything further because there were cameras, witnesses and employees who saw the whole incident unfold. I continued, “..obviously I do not want to talk to you.” I informed that she was a “trouble-making n#@!r.” She turned quiet and the manager called the plaza security guard to which she said nothing further and stayed away from me the rest of the time I was doing my laundry. Once again TOTAL STRANGER.
Let’s discuss some of the “support” [*sarcasm intended] I as a Sunni Muslim Black American has received from Black “Christians” in Maryland and the District of Columbia over the years (in addition to the near daily street harassment):
1) I already posted about a black guy shallow scratching the driver front door of my car for absolutely no reason except for minding my business and not responding to his attempt to solicit unwanted conversation.
2) Oh, one early morning a dark-skinned Black “Christian”—well actually a Jehovah Witness who lived in my apartment building at the time deep scratched the passenger rear door of my car. She was known for being crazy and none of the residents, regardless of religion liked her. Apparently she was so annoying that even her husband left her and never returned. However, I was the only one who received the extra deluxe treatment of her vandalizing my car. At the time, I worked long hours and woke very early in the mornings. I saw her leaving the exact spot where the scratch was which was not there the night before and because I work late I left my car in a paid, supervised garage and no scratch was there until she was near my car. Unfortunately, the apartment building had no security cameras and I did not catch her in the middle of scratching my car though I reported it to my insurance company—guess who has to pay for this dark-skinned woman’s bigotry and hate crime: me.
3) One day I was walking, as usual in full hijab with a long tunic shirt (it was actually a shirtdress that goes to the knees) with a pair of wool trousers. Two dark-skinned black males intentionally trying to make me uncomfortably by yelling DAYUUUUUMMMM: and stared at my backside while I was waiting for the light to change so I could return to work.
4) In Howard County, Maryland, a dark-skinned black “Christian” male stabbed my tire with some sort of bracket in the middle of the night. My car was parked in a row of several cars and mine was the only one vandalized. I went to Mr. Tire to describe how I found the metal bracket in the side wall and he agreed it was vandalism.
5) I was waiting in line one day for a MATINEE movie at the AMC theatre at Columbia Mall, a dark-skinned black “Christian” female kept bumping into my purse which was the only thing that separated me from her. Each time I moved further away or adjusted my purse to clear more space she would intentionally try to touch me with her right hand—total stranger.
6) One day I was at the East Columbia Public Library on 6600 Cradlerock Way, Columbia, Maryland. Before current renovations, there were a line of computers that had a “15 minute limit” sign on them. At these computers who must stand because they are not intended for long term use. I was standing alone in a line of several computers and none of the others were occupied. A dark-skinned Black “Christian” woman came in right to the computer to my immediate right. I had an inkling she was a trouble-maker and attempted to ignore the negative energy. I was using my right hand on the mouse and out of no where this black “Christian” female takes her left hand and snatches my hand off the mouse I was using. Apparently she was a sociopathic lesbian. I immediately snatched my hand back and exited the computer and used another one. Yes, these black “Christians” male and female who are total strangers in Maryland and the District of Columbia are mentally ill trouble making molesting street harassers who never face the consequences of their actions or charges because of black “Christian” criminal privilege. This is when moral, decent people sympathize with rhetoric against ‘Liberals” because these are the types of people that vote Democrat.
7) At the same library on another occasion, a dark skinned black “Christian” female was using one of the standing computers. I was already seated at one of the regular computers on the main floor that are parallel to the short-term use ones. The black female “Christian” simply looked at me and yelled “sh*#” and “f@*#” , she then chuckled. I gave her a stern look and she left the library.
8) One day I had an appointment for a strain at the Kaiser Medical Center, located at 1221 Mercantile Lane, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20774. After being directed to the proper office I decided to use the elevator at the last minute. I was going up and the elevator was taking a long time to close. A black “Christian” butch female comes out of no where and hops on the elevator even though I realized she was going in the opposite direction. She looked at me and did one of those threatening “Good morning” (think of the tone when someone says “you better not say anything” I’ll kick you’re a@#”) in that tone and flinched at me. I thought it was the oddest thing and was going to leave the elevator but now the elevator was working normally. The door was closed and I responded because she was going to hit me. This was a total stranger, as all of them are.
Two of the black female “Christian” employees kept laughing and gossiping about me until I asked the one sitting that I was going to call the insurance who made my appointment and let them know that things were switched without my permission or notification to them.
The entire appointment was a disaster because a shady physical therapist (black male) changed my appointment without notifying me and my insurance company in which I initially had a female therapist. He was a dirty old black “Christian” male who was rude and disrespectful. None of the employees would not say directly but hinted that he was the one that switched my appointment so HE could do the therapy. I filed a formal complaint through the customer service of their underhanded activity.
9) One day I was at the IHOP located at 7371 Assateague Drive, Jessup, Maryland 20794. It was a bright sunny day and I was getting out of my car in the parking lot. I was adjusting my purse and lock the door behind me when a dark skinned Black “Christian” male started walking rapidly towards me from a Northeasterly direction. Suddenly, a Latino man emerged from his white car which was parked to the right of mine, with out of state tags (Florida) and stood looking at the black “Christian” male. The vagrant immediately turned around and walked off the IHOP property. This one surprised me as I usually do not see Latinos in Maryland defend a Black woman, let alone a covered Sunni Muslim. Then again, he had out of state tags so different kind of Latino, but I was grateful.
10) One day I was sitting in my car waiting for it to warm up. I noticed a bulged eye, dark-skinned black male walking around the parking lot but initially dismissed it. The black male was suddenly near my car. He walked over and stood in front of the driver right front of my car and stared at me hunched through the main window. He was so close to and in front of my car that had I began to drive he would have been ran over. I kept looking down because I could not drive with him in my way and if I got out my car then he would have said something inappropriate or followed me. Another black male “Christian” stranger acting the social deviant in broad daylight (morning).
11) One day I was at the Macy’s in Columbia Mall, looking at some shoes in that department. A dark-skinned, overweight black “Christian” female kept giving me a ‘dirty’ look. I ignored it. She then kept walking towards me backwards near one of the shoe displays and was trying to ‘pretend’ that she didn’t see me though I could tell she was trying to bump into me so she could instigate a fight. I moved AWAY from her and she turned to me in a loud voice and said “Don’t!” I looked at her like she was crazy and two other women saw the entire incident. One of them stared the black female troublemaker down. I walked to another section of the shoe department.
On another occasion, different year, I was at the same Macy’s and was looking for a Clarisonic spinbrush (which would later be stolen by a white woman at the YMCA in Ellicott City, Maryland). I hadn’t realized that they were made in a variety of colors, so I was looking at different boxes making sure they all cost the same. A dark-skinned black female came from behind and tried to start an uneasy conversation, then started to get loud. I found her annoying and disruptive and had a feeling she was trying to rob me. I called over a Macy’s employee concerning the product to which she responded and would be the person to ring my purchase at the register. As I took the product intentionally the long route, I noticed the dark-skinned black female following me for no reason. She wasn’t speaking to me, I did not know her and she actually followed me to the register counter with no product in hand and was standing in line instead in back of me. The employee looked just as uncomfortable as I did, the black female kept staring at my product and my purse. When I had to pay using the card swipe machine is on the customer’s side and is not taken behind the counter. I had to take my entire hand to conceal the numbers on my card and swiped. She was still standing there while I immediately replaced my card in my wallet and the cashier gave me my purchase and my receipt. I was initially going to return to my car but thought it best to go into the mall where several people are around, when I did so, she disappeared.
Based on decades of experience, an observant must conclude that the vast majority of today’s Black “Christians” are evil troublemakers with no qualms of performing devilish conduct in the open–black “Christian” privilege reigns in Maryland. God’s standards does not, no matter how many hostile ‘Jesus’ yells these black “Christians” invoke at total strangers who are minding their business.
The past few months various news outlets have reported BLM as part of a movement of protests Trump’s recent immigration ban. This ban temporarily prohibits the emigration of foreign nationals from heavily Muslim populated countries from entering the United States.
Although this blog is primarily geared towards addressing sexual/street harassment by today’s Black males, I find it necessary to highlight the deceitful and manipulative hypocrisy of this group.
BLM is comprised of inner city-ghetto Black “Christians”. For decades Black “Christians” have lied on, falsely impugned the character of, attempted to break i n the homes of Sunni Muslim Black women to sexually assault them, sabotaged them on the job, sexually and street harassed Sunni Muslim Black Americans as well as other members of their race. About three years ago in Pennsylvania, it was reported that a Black “Christian” woman sexually assaulted a young (about 8 year old) Sunni Muslim black girl. She attended an Islamic private school and as usual, she waited for her mother to pick her up. Her mother, a Black woman who is also a Sunni Muslim, usually wears hijab, abaya and niqab.
Apparently the black “Christian” woman who raped the Muslim girl had been observing the school and found garments that resembled Islamic attire, including the face veil. This Black “Christian” female picked up the girl pretending to be her mother, sexually assaulted her, left her half naked in the snow and told some of er friends where the girl was so they could sexually assault her as well.
The Muslim girl had the courage to confront the Black “Christian” female in court–to which the black female criminal retorted, “I am not a monster.” The Black “Christian” assailant made no apology nor displayed any remorse for the innocense she snatched from a Sunni Muslim Black little girl. This is the attitude the vast majority of Black “Christians” (both male and female) have towards Sunni Muslim Black Americans.
For decades, Black “Christians have bullied, lied preyed on using white mistrust of Sunni Muslims in the workplace for their advantage, accost, and street harassed members of their own race who are Sunni Muslims.
In the State of Maryland and other major metropolitan areas throughout the United States, they show their disdain by snorting and exaggerated clearing of their throats like pigs (whites in Maryland, especially in Howard and Anne Arundel counties do the same), will literally walk in front of Sunni Muslim Black Americans while they properly wait in line and when confronted these black “Christians” will say that they didn’t ‘notice’ you in order to intimidate, disrespect and practice another form of apartheid against Sunni Muslim Black Americans.
Alas, I was ever-reminded of so many of today’s Black “Christians” being such phony hypocrites. For decades Black “Christians” have ostracized Sunni Muslims within their own families (embarassing them at family events totally disregarding situational awareness and speaking to them dismissively and yelling ‘Jesus is the only way’, ‘F*** Allah,’ ‘I hate you,’ ‘that long dress ain’t gonna save you,’ ‘you’re going to hell’ and ‘you need to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal saviour’ while others yell these offensive and blasphemous epithets at Muslim strangers or on the job while do daily errands and are minding their business (yet turn around and try “pick up” lines like the true sociopaths they really are) , whether third generation or recent converts, they (both male and female Black “Christians”–especially dark-skinned ones, who appear inherently more aggressive, mock Sunni Black women who are total strangers. Oh and black “Christians” on the job get away with EVERYTHING especially if they attack, lie and threaten to ‘snatch that thing off her head,’ referring to a Muslim employee’s hijab or head covering.
These same people in Maryland (Prince George’s County, Baltimore County, Howard County, Anne Arundel County, and of course Baltimore, etc. and parts of Washington, D.C.) sabotage Sunni Muslim Black Americans in the workplace when the latter has more talent and a better work ethic than them, blaspheme the man they claim to revere with distorted and hateful yells of ‘Jesus’ at them like they are invoking a curse, confront and antagonize total strangers who are Sunni Muslims with barbaric screeches of ‘that long dress ain’t gonna save you,’ cut Sunni Muslims off or attempt to run them off the road on 295 S and Route 1 between Prince George’s and Howard County, 175, Snowden River Parkway (Howard County), poke them in the arm, grabbing them (white “Christian” females do the same) lie on Sunni Muslim Black Americans, Black “Christians” will tell a Sunni Black American who is of the same race as them to “go back to wherever the hell you came from” and “we don’t want you here”, intentionally put pork in Sunni Muslim customers’ food because they “it’s funny” with white managers who condone such behavior because they hate all minorities, are generally hateful towards Sunni Muslims, will literally come up to a Sunni Muslim woman and state “I hate you” even though they are total strangers, molest, accost, street harass and are basically domestic terrorists and violate Sunni Muslim Black Americans’ civil rights but in some distorted parallel universe they want to pretend that they have the golden mouthpiece to be the guardians of Muslims’ civil rights in the United States. Just more showboating hypocrisy from phony Black “Christians.’ They are the biggest abusers and antagonizers to members of their own race and truly are expert b.s. artists social rapists and progenitors of hatred towards Sunni Muslim Black Americans–let alone members of their own families
Even more recently, being aware that Sunni Muslim Black Americans were not impressed by their “diversion” and “distraction” rhetoric, BLM started including the term “Black Muslims” which is a code switch as the phrase is derogatory and refer to an inner city cult which has nothing to do with Sunni Muslim Black Americans who are members of the same race. This provides a two-fold bait and switch strategy for the discerning eye. ‘Black Muslims’ are known for their blind hatred and rhetoric against whites which is the same as the BLM modis operandi. By saying “Black Muslims and immigrant Muslims” in the same sentence– it is to alert Black “Christians” to still attack, street harass and accost Sunni Muslim Black Americans (it is 2017 and ignorant people still must learn that most Black Americans are Sunni Muslims and not ‘Black Muslims’) who fall into neither of those categories (denotationally). Most Black Americans who are Muslim are Sunni Muslims–the same religion as most of the millions of Muslims around the world including the subject countries.
Thus, BLM provides a media image to be supportive of all Muslims when in fact they and most other Black “Christians” have and continue to molest, harass, disrespect, accost Sunni Muslim Black Americans–members of their own race.
Any reasonable person, religious or no religion at all that has an iota of intellect can only conclude that most of today’s Black “Christians” suffer not only from attachment disorder but also blatant dissociative disorder.
Black “Christians” continue to be the biggest hate mongers of Sunni Black American Muslims for DECADES. Do not believe they support Sunni Muslims whether Black American or immigrant, because 90% of them do not and never have.
Decent Blacks whether Sunni Muslim, Buddhist, a true follower of Jesus’s teachings or no religion at all need to speak up. Just because BLM is currently the loudest voice, doesn’t mean it is the representative voice of today’s Black Americans.
They’ve done worse to Sunni Muslim Black Americans for decades than a temporary ban has done to immigrants. Yet, when a white man does some perceived wrong all of a sudden Black “Christians” become sentient beings only to seize the opportunity to display hypocritical self-righteous indignation. The hypocrisy is so palatable one can sense it an ocean away.
Here is the text of her post:
The SlutWalk movement has taken over the world (or at least many major cities such as New York City, Toronto, Denver, and even in Delhi, India) and many believe that it has become one of the most successful feminist actions in the last 20 years. For those of you that haven’t heard of the movement, the first SlutWalk happened in April 2011 in Toronto, Canada after Canadian Constable Michael Sanguinetti, during a January 2011 York University campus safety forum stated that in order for women to be more safe, they should “avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized.”
For many women of color (myself included) the term “slut” doesn’t really conjure up the same type of emotions as perhaps “bitch” or “hoe”, but regardless of whatever term is used, the premise is still the same: we are living in a society that tells women that not only are we the weaker sex, but that we are responsible for making sure that men don’t attack, assault, harass, stalk or rape us. That’s a pretty tall order.
SlutWalk may be the “it” thing right now, but there has been an anti-street harassment movement brewing over the last several years. From The Line Campaign to Hollaback!, women are proclaiming that it’s time for men to really take a step back and realize the behaviors that they and their peers are participating in. Yet the sad thing about it is that women shouldn’t even be the ones leading this effort. How many women do you know stand on corners and stare at and try to speak to every man that walks by? How many women do you know will tell a man that if he weren’t outside at a certain time of night/weren’t wearing certain types of clothing/weren’t drunk/weren’t trying to flirt that it’s his fault for whatever happens to him? No, I don’t think it’s women’s responsibility to tell men that this type of behavior is inappropriate. No, I don’t think that women should live in fear or in annoyance when they see a group of men standing on the corner. And no, I don’t think women should be the main ones marching by the thousands to tell men just how ridiculous their logic is for thinking that a woman deserves to be sexually assaulted or called out her name due to what she’s wearing or how she turns down a man’s advances. Street harassment and all violence against women will stop once men decide to stand up and declare that it stops.
*Where is my soap box?*
I first experienced street harassment during my freshman year of college. My friends and I would walk to the train station or to the grocery store. We would hear voices from strangers that we would pass on the sidewalk, or we’d hear voices from cars that have suddenly slowed their pace. I remember us ignoring the voices mostly, but when it got to the point where these voices would begin following us, we all would be uncomfortable. And oftentimes the silent stares were more uncomfortable than the comments. Even in the warmer months I would try to get away with wearing tops with long sleeves or carry my school bag in a way that would hide my buttocks. At that time, I didn’t know that the term “street harassment” even existed. I just knew the feeling I had, and it wasn’t good. I used to hate walking to the nearby shopping area or the train station out of fear of someone speaking to me inappropriately. Yet, as I went through college I went from feeling embarrassed to feeling apathetic. I once thought that this problem was only within the confines of the surrounding area of my campus, but obviously I was wrong. I’m nearing age 30, and at times I still resort to these “prevention methods”, and have now graduated to wearing earbuds to blast music and drown out the catcalls.
Street harassment comes in a variety of forms: catcalling, groping, sexually explicit comments, someone honking their horn at you as you walk down the street (and it’s not to ask for directions), grabbing your arm with no indication that you even wanted to be touched, whistling, someone telling you what they would do to you sexually if you were alone, and even someone leaning into you and saying “hello beautiful” as you walk down by (because it is, in fact, getting into your personal space.)
Many women and girls are harassed daily, and many feel helpless to stop it. In an attempt to prevent street harassment from happening, we begin to limit the amount of time we spend outside or we make sure that we’re not out at certain times of night. We begin to wear baggy or unflattering clothing. But these acts don’t deter individuals from harassing us. Street harassment can lead to violence, and it doesn’t matter what race or ethnicity you are. Many of us do not do anything about street harassment because we’re afraid that we’ll be placed in harm’s way. And that’s the rub. You never know how a man is going to react once you make the decision to put him in his place. Which it why I understand the purpose of movements like SlutWalk. Thousands of women (and many male supporters) coming together to let these men know that this type of behavior will not be tolerated anymore seems more powerful and doesn’t really place a woman in harm’s way compared to going at it alone.
Now that we know what street harassment is, let’s discuss what street harassment prevention is not:
Street harassment prevention is not about women taking self defense classes. My college’s public safety department held a self-defense class during freshman orientation week, and after the class we received a whistle. The whistle was for using against someone if we felt that we were unsafe. The students on my campus were the only ones with these whistles, and I never knew of any student who actually used their whistle. On top of that, the whistles were a joke throughout the university center. This isn’t to demean the purpose of taking self-defense classes because there are people who feel that they are necessary. However, instead of bringing women in to take self defense classes and have mace and whistles at our disposal, perhaps we should create more programs that help men to recognize street harassment and to find ways to help change their behaviors.
Street harassment prevention is not about letting men duck responsibility. The “boys will be boys” mentality has to stop. By not speaking out about street harassment (in whichever way you choose) we’re telling men that they aren’t responsible for their actions and aren’t capable of controlling themselves. If I were a man, I would be very offended by this. And if you watch this video about boys being microwaves and girls being crockpots, you’ll understand what I’m talking about.
Street harassment prevention is not about women solely being responsible for speaking up. A man who watches his friend street harass someone and doesn’t say anything is no different from the actual harasser. I’ve seen plenty of incidences where a group of men would stand idly by with blank expressions on their faces while one of them disrespects a woman passing by. I’ve heard men say that they’ve been afraid to say anything, even though they know it’s wrong. Would these same men be afraid to speak up if the woman being harassed was their mother or sister? If a man feels afraid to speak up for what he knows is right (i.e., telling his friend that he needs to check his behavior), that says a lot about the type of person a man chooses to surround himself with…and it says a lot about him. This actually makes me feel sorry for younger men who participate in street harassment. Along with the media’s influence, where else are they learning this behavior? Who else? Their older counterparts.
Street harassment prevention is not about what a woman is wearing. If it were really about clothing, women in the Middle East who are walking around completely covered up in broad daylight wouldn’t be getting assaulted or harassed.
Street harassment is deeply ingrained in communities of color, which is why many don’t see it as a problem. Street harassment will continue to prevail until men stand up and decide that this behavior needs to stop. We need to teach young men how to treat a woman with respect. We need to teach young men that what they’re listening to, reading, and watching on television may not be how a woman expects to be treated. We need to teach young men that it’s OK to tell their older counterparts that how they behave towards women is unacceptable. Street harassment will continue to also prevail because, unfortunately, there are women who respond to it. Along with men standing up and taking responsibility, we need to teach ourselves and our young women that we are more than just entities that should be hollered at on the street. We need to teach young women that it should require a little more creativity for a man to get our attention. And honking a car horn shouldn’t be one of them.
Street harassment, physical violence, and sexual violence against women won’t stop because we as women want it to stop. It stops when men decide that it stops.
*hops off soapbox*
END OF HER POST
My reminder: Like I said 98% of street harassers are black males, the first step in solving a problem is admitting that there is one. In the State of Maryland, Black “Christian” males are the problem. They are domestic terrorists in more ways than one and the Black woman is the proverbial and literal carnage.